What is the best skincare routine for dry skin?
In our previous articles we have written about the importance of building a proper skincare routine and how this is an essential element of taking care of your skin. But to establish the right skincare routine that is effective and works for you it must be done based on the skin type you have. In previous articles we have discussed the proper skincare routine for acne and in this article we will discuss how to establish a right skincare routine for those who have a dry skin type.
When forming and creating a skincare routine for dry skin one of the main objectives is to create a routine that can increase the skin’s moisture level. Although dry and dehydrated skin types may have different underlying reasons, they both can be managed with a skincare routine for dry skin.
When it comes to underlying causes of dry skin it has to do with the outer layer of the skin not being able to hold enough of the natural oils produced by the skin while the cause of dehydrated skin has to do with lack of water content.
What are the causes of dry skin?
There are several causes of dry skin, and they are connected to sebaceous glands ability to continually be able to provide moisture and nourishment for the skin cells. When the sebaceous gland’s ability to produce moisture is damaged the skin barrier weakens and this causes the skin to become dry, flaky and sensitive.
The role of the skin barrier is crucial when it comes to having a healthy skin since when it has been weakened it is not able to do its job any longer which is to retain and hold on to moisture. You can lessen the damage on the skin barrier and keep it healthy and strong by avoiding certain things such as changes in climate, long baths and extended exposure to UV rays from the sun.
Building a skincare routine for dry skin
Now that we have become more familiar with what dry skin is and it’s causes it is time to discuss how to build an effective skincare routine for it. We will divide this into a morning skincare routine and an evening skincare routine.
Morning skincare routine
- You should start your morning skincare routine by washing with a gentle facial cleanser to remove impurities.
- Next you must increase hydration and rebalance the skin with a serum. A serum is capable of penetrating deeper into the skin thus providing a more effective hydration.
- The next step is to use a moisturizer that also has a SPF protection. A moisturizer with SPF protection will provide hydration and moisture for the skin and also provide protection form the sun which can damage the skin.
Evening skincare routine
- Wash the skin to remove makeup and other build ups collected during the day. Is best to wash your face with a cleanser for dry skin to remove all pollutants and makeup that has been collected on the skin.
- Apply a serum that is built especially for dry skin to nourish and hydrate the skin.
- Apply moisturizer to strengthen the skin barrier and to establish balance to the skin once again.
- The last step is to apply a hydrating eye cream that reduces the appearance of dark circles, puffiness and at the same time brightens the skin.